Tuesday celebrates a musical birthday for Bahian singer and songwriter Rosa Passos, and we are ready to join in the fun. Connect Brazil’s weekly digest keeps you informed and up to date with the best of Brazil. What will you discover?
Rosa Passos shines whenever she steps onto a stage, no matter where it might be: at home, singing on her couch for us on Instagram weekends, as a headliner for countless concerts in Brazil, or even recounting our musical memories from Ravinia Festival here in Chicago with YoYo Ma.
In fact, when it comes to Insta, Facebook, and youtube, Rosa Passos is a social butterfly. When the Chinese virus hit Brazil hard last summer, she decided to open her home and her heart to fans worldwide with regular pocket shows online.
And the response has been amazing.
“It’s funny, because there are a lot of people discovering Rosa Passos now,” she said to Uai’s Augusto Piro. “I’m happy, there are people putting my old videos and sharing them on their pages. Artists like Djavan and Hamilton de Holanda always leave likes on my videos. A sign that they are enjoying it, right?”.
Delicately creative on her own terms, Rosa Passos outgrew her place in Brazil’s “best-kept secret” category by virtue of her touring performances with YoYo Ma and on Kenny Rankin’s award-winning Here In My Heart album. Today, Her own critically acclaimed solo albums total 20.
Passos has all the modern phrasing and techniques, but throughout her Brazilian songbook, she never seems too far away from those early samba vocalists of the ’60s. As with all great singers, Passos’s soulful warmth has grown from her early influences to bring forth a vocal presence that is immediately recognizable.
Tuesday marks her birthday, giving us another reason to hear Rosa Passos shine: Listen for at least one song every hour during The Midday Show with Scott Adams, 9 am to 3 pm on our always-live streaming channel this Tuesday (below).
- Lifestyle: Want to get a head start on Grillin’ Brazilian? There’s nobody better than Guga for a video tri-tip or two.
- Music: As we await Marisa Monte’s first studio album in nearly a decade, we look back at how she turned the tables on the music industry.
- Food & Drink: April is Brazil’s Month of Discovery, so spend some time exploring our Brazilian Comfort Food guide for bites near you.
- People: Who’s celebrating? April’s video list for Brazilian musical birthdays tells all.
- Picture of the Day: An inspiring photo every day whenever you visit our homepage.
Connect Brazil’s Weekender arrives in your inbox this Thursday! Read a current issue and sign up here.
Spotlight Song: Rosa Passos ‘Caminhos Cruzados’
STREAMING MUSIC NEWS
This week, it’s a birthday celebration with Rosa Passos Fan Favorites on The Sounds of Brazil. Listen 4 X daily and on-demand through April 4th. The playlist and Producer’s Notes are here.
ON OUR STREAMING STATION
America’s lifestyle streaming station for Brazilian music! Our streaming station is a jazzy blend of breezy bossas and crossover hits from both sides of the equator. Always free and always live, this is music you can spend the day with!
Treat your ears to our unique blend. Our streaming station is the perfect choice for the sunshine season. Listen for these songs this week during The Midday Show with Scott Adams (M-F, 9 am to 3 pm CT).
- ‘I Can’t Help It’ – Will Downing
- ‘Wake Up’ – Torcuato Mariano
- ‘Bom Dia Rio (Posto 6)’ – Bossacucnova
Listen for these songs and thousands more on our always-live streaming station, and click here for all of our streaming music channels.
Best way to listen? Connect Brazil’s Listening Lounge.
Always two-of-a-kind and always two in a row when you listen at the top of the hour, at 11 am, 2 pm, and 5 pm (US Central) Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
Here’s this week’s lineup:
- Monday, April 12 – Rosa Passos
- Wednesday, April 14 – New Music Wednesday: Daniela Soledade and U-Nam
- Friday, April 16 – Brazilian Guitars
Next week on Brazil Back2Back:
- Monday, April 19 – Minas Brazilian Jazz
- Wednesday, April 21 – New Music Wednesday: Fred Martins and Lucas Felix with Lucy Alves
- Friday, April 23 – Bossa Nova Breeze
Visit the Listening Lounge to listen live, for real-time playlists or to request a song.
New Music: Silva ‘Voce’
Listen to this song on Connect Brazil’s always-live streaming station, 24/7, worldwide.
Connect Brazil’s Events section has the early line on entertainment recommendations for Spring with more live venues, and club dates added regualrly. And musicians can post thier events for free, anytime.
We have a full slate of streaming and virtual events for pianist Gregg Karukas posted, including last weekend’s YouTube show for Rick’s Cafe Live! Enjoy live club dates and livestream Brazilian jazz concerts with Philly’s Minas, or St. Pete’s Nate Najar Trio with Daniela Soledade, You’ll find virtual Brazilian cooking and Zumba classes, even the return of Brazilian Jazz to San Antonio’s Riverwalk.
Plus your pick of full length, on-demand virtual Brazilian jazz concerts, too.
- Click here to browse upcoming events.
THE BRAZILAIN COMFORT FOOD GUIDE
Browse Brazilian eateries, cafes and markets near you, coast to coast
Africa, Portugal, Japan, and Italy. America and indigenous Brasil. Hundreds of family-owned Brazilian restaurants, coffee houses and cafes, bakeries, and grocery markets coast-to-coast are ready to share these international influences with you and your family.
Connect Brazil is donating its services to spread the word about the tasty rewards of your patronage.
We hope that you will do the same by placing an order soon with an eatery near you. Your support makes everything taste better. Even Brazilian cheesebreads!
SEARCH THE DIRECTORY FOR BRAZILIAN COMFORT FOOD NEAR YOU
Rosa Passos Shines: Connect Brazil This Week
Stories like ‘Rosa Passos Shines: Connect Brazil This Week’ are what we do. Why don’t you join us?
- Sign up for our emails on music, travel, friends and fun. Listen to our ‘always live’ streaming station and our 12 streaming music channels, always free. Browse our Lifestyle Directory. Click here to like our Facebook page and here for Brazilian events coast to coast.